5.27.2011

"I highly doubt that."

Today I got a text from a writing buddy who just finished her first draft. She's floating on quite the cushy cloud right now and said that even though she knows she should be sitting back and not diving in to another project right away, all she wants to do is write a short story. You know, like true writers do.

I had just finished a long, self-absorbed emo-fest in the shower when I got her text where I'd convinced myself that maybe I wasn't cut out to be a writer, since it's been forever since I've worked on my story, and when I do find some time, all I can manage to think about it is, "Bluuuuurrrrrggggghhhhh."

So I texted her back, all cheery and sunshine, and said, "Sadly, I seem to have lost that writing spark...perhaps I'm not meant to be a writer after all?"

Her answer, among other encouraging things, was, "Well, I highly doubt that." And it was just what I needed to hear. She helped me back on my writing horse and slapped its bum and sent me back on my way.

Aren't writing friends awesome? My husband is supportive, my family is supportive, but writing friends are there to say "I KNOW!" when you worry about really dumb things like an apocalypse coming before you can get your book published.

So, here's to writing friends. Many posts of praise to come, I'm sure, because YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!

11 comments:

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I totally agree. Writer friends are the BEST! :D I'm glad you aren't giving up! You rock!

Unknown said...

Writing buddy love! :E)

Keriann Greaney Martin said...

I love all my writing buddies!! They keep me going. I can't write in a bubble (it would probably be all echo-y and shiny and distracting anyway).

Coreene Callahan said...

So true. I don't know what I would do without my writing friend. They always pick me up when I trip and fall. . .and think. . .I suck at this!!!!

And beauty of it all? I do the same for them.

Ruth Josse said...

Writer friends are the best! A. Because they get how hard it is. B. They are great at picking us up when we get overwhelmed because it is so hard. C. They are weird like us. It's nice to be in good company.

Get writing and have fun!

Anonymous said...

Emo-fest in the shower? Glad I'm not the only one. Don't give up, Jeigh! Everybody doesn't have to reach the finish line the same way either. :-)

KM Nalle said...

Your friend is right. Don't give up! Sounds like your writing friend gave you exactly what you needed. :)

Lindsay N. Currie said...

I agree with your friend 100%. We've all wanted to quit at some point or another. If it were easy, everyone would be published. But, everyone also needs those little writing buddies sitting on their shoulder to poke them mercilessly with tiny pitchforks when we try to quit. Okay, we just need a virtual hug:)

Tracy said...

Ah, yes! I don't know where I'd be without my writing friends. Sometimes you just need them to remind you we ALL have those times when we doubt we're meant to do this.

It's good to have someone to slap some sense into us!

Sweet Lily said...

Vigorously nodding my head in agreement.

Julie Musil said...

I'm glad your writing friend snapped you out of your funk. I absolutely love ALL you amazing writer/blogger buddies. It's nice to chat with people who get it!