8.26.2011

The Spark Blogfest: Who Set You Off? (Part Five)

This week I'm participating in Christine Tyler's blogfest and talking about who and what made me decide to be a writer.

 I know this blogfest is all about what got us started as writers, but I wanted to take a moment and talk about some people who keep my enthusiasm spark crackling: my crit partners.

There was a time, early in my writerly journey, that I used to covet a certain critique group that I saw floating around the internet. This group was so cool and funny and smart; I spent all my wittiest comments on their blogs. I just knew that if they noticed me and my funniness, they would beg me to join their group.

It didn't work.

I was dying to have some writer friends who I could share inside jokes with, who I could talk story with, who could assure me that my dread fear of an apocalypse before I'm published is, in fact, a valid and normal fear.

Bit by bit, I found some friends, and bit by bit, I made the connections. Now I have some awesome crit partners and that other group? Eh, they're still cool, but I'm lucky to have the best crit buddies in the world!

Thanks, guys, for keeping me on track!

(a special note to Julie Hunt: I've got my eye on you...you'd better be writing!)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for crit groups!

Laura S. said...

This is a sweet post. I started blogging to connect with other writers too, and I'm so glad I did!

Unknown said...

Writing partners are writing life savers!

Jess said...

I agree~ crit partners deserve a shout out!

Sarah Tokeley said...

You know that someone, somewhere is eyeing up your super cool crit group and wanting desperately to get in :-)

J said...

Ah, crit partners, the most coveted of writerly possessions... Wait, no, that's not right. Anyway, crit partners are wonderful, and none of us could get by without them. Great way to end Sparkfest! :)

Ruth Josse said...

There was a time when I blog stalked a certain group. I wonder if it was the same one...

And your fear is totally valid. You better hurry and finish your book.

Unknown said...

Happy sigh. :)

Deana said...

Good for you! I've been there on coveting those illustrious crit groups. It is so awesome when you find one of your own:)

cleemckenzie said...

Without my crit partners I would never have published a single thing. They are the best.

J said...

Hey Jeigh, I know I already commented on this post, but...I'm giving you an award! Deets are here:

http://concretepiecesofsoul.blogspot.com/2011/08/ii-won-award-really.html

:D

Christine Tyler said...

I should have written an entire entry on you. I really should have.

Rachel Bean said...

Haha, this is almost exactly how I felt when I started writing (well... blogging about writing at least). That's so cool though that you found your own friends along your way! That type of things happened to me before (but not in writing... yet).

Keriann Greaney Martin said...

I was lucky because my BFF was already a writer and part of an awesome crit group. So when I started writing, I mooched off the work she already put into making those connections. My crit partners are awesome :).